Asian Style Short Ribs
These Asian Style Short Ribs are delicious!
photo by Mike Saechang
5 pounds short ribs, cut into 4 ounce size portions
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1/4 cup of orange juice, divided
2 to 4 cups of water (just enough to cover the ribs)
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup white wine or sherry
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 cup green onions, white and tender green part, sliced
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Jasmine Rice, or other rice for serving
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 325°F. In a medium bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, crushed red pepper,half of the orange juice and water.
- Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat the oil and butter in a large oven proof pot that is large enough to hold all the ribs (no more than 2 layers). Heat the butter and oil over medium high heat. Brown the ribs on all sides. Be careful not to over crowd the pot. Transfer to a platter. Brown the rest of the ribs, adding more butter and oil if needed. Transfer to the platter.
- Pour off the fat from the pan. Reduce heat to low and add the garlic, ginger and scallions, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes to bring out the flavor. Add the wine to deglaze the pot. After a 15 seconds add the soy sauce mixture. Return the ribs to the pot. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer the pot to the oven to braise the ribs, turning them every half hour until the meat is tender and starts to fall off the bone when pulled with a fork; about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a serving platter. Drain off the fat from the cooking liquid. Place the liquid back into the pot with the hoisin sauce, bring to a boil over medium high heat and reduce until about 1 to 1 1/4 cups remain. Strain the liquid discarding the solids and place back into the pot. Stir in the remaining orange juice and the lemon juice. Return the ribs to the reduce sauce and coat. Return to the oven until heated through and glazed, about 10 minutes. Serve over rice and garnish with green onion.